Saturday 8 October 2016

Dadaism

Dadaism Artwork

 Dadaism is like vandalism, taking a object and transfer into something else. For example, the urine tub is taken and transform into fountain by Marchel Duchamp in 1917.

Figure 1: Fountain (Duchamp, 1917)

Experiment 1: 

Title: Making an artwork based on dadaism concept and about myself

Material: old mouse, old hat, broken spectacle frame

Method: Assembling

About myself: I like technology, and computer staffs, so I was to use a old mouse to show that. I'm also a short-sightedness person whom wearing a glasses, so I used an broken spectacles frame. I'm also like a tomboy person, like to wear pants and t-shirt more than girlish staff. This can be shown through a cap.

Figure 2: Materials
 
Figure 3: Assembled artwork 

Since my artwork is not following the principle of dadaism ( construct and deconstruct), I had to come up with different solution.

Experiment 2: 

I dismantled the frame of glasses and attached it to the cap as antennae to show I am information gatherer and transmitter.

Figure 4: sewing the frame to the cap
 
Figure 5: Attaching the frame to show the observant characteristic
 



Figure 6: Mouse is attached to cap

This shows I'm keen in technology and it is attached inside the hat (symbolize brain) that I get a lot of information from computer.
 
Figure 7: hammering the nail 

Figure 8: Reshaping the wire into peace sign 

Figure 9: Fixing mouse on the board 


Figure 10: Finished artwork



The whole concept is: The cap with glasses shows I'm information gatherer, and observant. The peace sign shows I love peaceful condition. The wire is going down and up. That means I have fallen in my life at one point. But trying to go up again with a mouse which means through  computer related studies I'm starting back my life. The doodle 'someone help me', shows my mental condition when I have fallen into trouble in my life.

I needed more improvement in my artwork.


Experiment 3

Sketch: 

                                              
Figure 11: Sketch.

I sprayed gold color spray through the holes on paper, to create the effect on the board like shown in below.
 
Figure 12: Coloured board

 Figure 13: Hammering the cap
Figure 14: Dismantling of the mouse
   
Figure 15: Gluegun
Figure 16: Sticking the frame using gluegun on the board
Figure 17: Sticking on board
 Figure 18: Reshaped the wire into smile face
   
Figure 19: Cuting of the wire and exposing of internal wire, Sticking of mouse parts as a bridge 

 Figure 20: Glue gun the wire

Figure 21: Mouse part with a wheel

Figure 22: Cutting out the letters from magazine

Figure 23: Adding words to the internal component of mouse as 'goal'

 Figure 24: Adding words

Figure 25: happy face

 Figure 26: Adding words


Figure 27: Finished artwork



Whole concept: I was a happy child until something happen. The bridge shows the obstacle, and one wire turned into many wires shows confusion. I went down, and try to climb up using computer related study to reach my goal. Chip shows my last goal is to light it meaning to reach the success. The car with one wheel shows I dont have other wheels to move in my life (stuck on one place, maybe shows I need motivation, help, encouragement, guides and so on). I break the glasses to show the eye problem and used mouse components to show that I am fond of technology.

Reference:

Tate, 2016, Fountain 1917, Tate.org, accessed on 14 October 2016, url:http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/duchamp-fountain-t07573

Acknowledgement: Thanks to Mr Kamarul for helping me to do this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment